On the Concept of Weekends
Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:29 PM
post a comment (2)
I have a love hate relationship with weekends; it's true.

On the one hand, work is long and exhausting and cool, weekend! On the other hand, when the boss is away, the Kris will play… which means I get quite a bit of non-work-related writing done during my forced downtime in front of a computer. Which is nice; I really miss writing. So work is not all bad, particularly when it’s slow, which can be agonizing and fun by turns.

I like the idea of weekends. Two whole days off to relax with time to myself. Especially now that it’s summer, and infinite amounts of homework are no longer clogging up my every spare moment.

It sounds good, but they never work out that way. I usually spend them cleaning up after a less than emaculate husband, taking care of the dogs, and catching up on things I’ve promised to get/make/do for people. By the time the weekend is over, I realize I didn’t really get to do much of anything that I really wanted to do.

It doesn’t help that David works a rotating four days on, four days off shift, so half the time my weekends aren’t his. Like this coming weekend, which I am really not looking forward to because I will spend it exactly as I have described: cleaning and catching up while David is at work. It's more like two days of no work than two days of Hurray!Weekend.

Hm, all of that sounds very complain-y. That wasn’t my intention. Just trying to explain the sentiment.

Mostly, I wish I had a friend or two around to go adventuring with me on weekends. Heck, I’d settle with someone to watch Smallville or Disney movies with me. Or go on walks. Or play guitar with. All of the above.

Hopefully, when life levels out and things get a little less hectic, weekends will become one of those things I look forward to every week, instead of a period of latency that come around every once in a while and are occasionally fairly enjoyable.


{older posts / recent posts}